Saturday, January 15, 2011

SHIMMY IN THE SUN - About....

This is my first ever blog thingie!
Living in Hervey Bay, being affected only slightly by the flooding happening all over Queensland and other parts of Australia and being totally unable to help, I was getting rather frustrated. I'd been on Face Book with a couple of friends talking about doing something. So on 14th January I set the ball rolling and came up with Shimmy In The Sun.
I've been a dancer and fitness freek all my life and just 3 years ago discovered belly dancing. I'm about to start teaching my very first class (tomorrow actually). One of the things that makes me so very passionate about belly dancing is the dancers themselves. Belly dancers are one huge sisterhood that stretches around the world and embrases all who this love artform. A wonderful extended family.
When I put together a Facebook Group called Shimmy In The Sun and sent invites to my dancing friends, the best I hoped for was that a group of about 10-20 people would want to pull something out of their collective hats to raise funds for the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal. Instead, just 48 hours later we have 120 members and growing, and interest from dancers all over Australia.
We have 4 registered events already, a logo, promotion stuff being worked on, items donated for raffles and so much more.
My sisters in dance have really come up to the mark and I am so proud and honoured to be part of a group of people who care so much about others.
We haven't yet got all the kinks sorted out but with a lot of very talented people all doing their bit to help those unfortunate victims of the the floods, we plan to help bring some sunshine into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment