Saturday, January 15, 2011

Licensing

Licensing

I've mentioned previously about the possibility that this fund raiser could need to be licenced.  I want to share an email I recently sent to someone who raised the question - not out of concern that I might do the wrong thing (no chance there girls) but so that she can assure others that we are a bone fide group.  I think the questions raised are very valid - after all most of you don't know who I am from Adam!  I hope that this will allay a concerns, but if you have questions I am more than happy to answer them (might be a few hours later because unfortunately I have my "real' job to do too!!

"I don’t believe that you need to be licenced at your local level.  You’ve probably done some fund raising before and would be aware if your local council requires anything specific.  The licence issue is probably not really required at all – I’m just somewhat anal about making sure I do the right thing!  In this case, because I’ll be handling money donated by other people, and intended for a charitable appeal, I’d rather go for overkill and be able to assure people that the funds will not be mis-appropriated.  I don’t actually need a licence, but there is the possibility that I need to have the fund Sanctioned.  It may be that even this is unnecessary.  I’ve tried to contact the Office of Fair Trading (who handle these things) but obviously they just have a recorded message that they are affected by the floods and are only dealing with emergencies at present.  However much we want this to be resolved – it’s not an emergency.

What I do plan is to spreadsheet every event that is registered, track all monies raised and deposited to the central bank account and reconcile all deposits with the bank statements.  I’ve been in touch with my banker and asked him to organise an account which will accept deposits but which cannot have withdrawals.  There will be just one withdrawal, performed by the banker, when the money will be transferred to the Premiers Disaster Relief Appeal.  So I personally will not handle any money.  It’s because of this that I feel (but still want to check out officially) that we don’t even need Sanction.

All records will be available to any registered event, on request (excluding contact details) so that they can make sure to their own satisfaction that everything is above board.  I’ll try the OFT again next week and as soon as I get any resolution on this, I’ll make sure that everyone in aware.

I am happy to register an event where you deposit any funds raised directly to the Premier’s Appeal, under the name of Shimmy In The Sun.  I can keep a register of events who prefer to go this way.  Perhaps a copy of the deposit could be sent to me and then that amount can be added to our total.

This is mind-blowing.  I expected maybe 15-20 people to be involved but I’m staggered at the response.  Belly dancers a beautiful people indeed!

Best wishes
Sue Thomson
suelovesbellydancing@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment